Thursday, March 5, 2015

Paint Table Thursday: Grist to the Mill

On the Table: OW Dwarf, FD Dretches, & Reaper Peryton.

Yet another snowstorm has me stuck home today... Spring seems very far away indeed. I'm inside, out of the weather, prepping some minis.

Six minis to be precise. The OW Dwarf Mercenary is next up in the Helping Hand Challenge. The FD Dretches are the first of my IMotOP Kickstarter rewards to go under the brush, while the Reaper Peryton is a recent acquisition that is just too cool to languish on the lead pile.

The Peryton originally showed up as a Bones-only sculpt, which was a disappointment: I absolutely loath the material. Its release in metal is a welcome development and seemingly part of a trend which has seen some of Reaper's Bones-only minis get the pewter treatment. Hopefully this practice will continue.

A lot of unwanted metal in the mouth and a mold-seam over the fight eye needed extra attention.
 
The Dretches are Paul Muller sculpted gems; a huge amount of character in very small packages. Right now I'm toying with the idea of basing two of them on one 25mm base. The prospect of the smallest of the lot peering around his dumpy comrade's shoulder seems too good to pass up.

The Conventional Approach: Everybody Gets Their Own Base
What I'm Leaning Towards
Dumb & Dumber

8 comments:

  1. Lovely looking minis Finch. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with them. Interesting that some Bones-only minis are now coming out in metal. Has "Reaper" realised the error of its ways ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of Reaper. If Bones doesn't hinder the production of their metal lines and actually facilitates minis like the peryton in metal, I'll have no complaints.

      It gives me hope that Julie Guthrie's outstanding Storm Giant (another Bones-Only) will ultimately be made in metal (or, given its size, resin).

      Delete
  2. Those are some nice looking models.
    Is it cork that you've used to base that Dretch upon? I've still to get some to use for my basing (I've too much on my mind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's cork. Part of a coaster I got at a craft store.

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely curious to hear more about your work-over on the Reaper peryton---I love the creatures, and my favorite sculpts thus far are Jason Wiebe's CSM versions.

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the CSM perytons too. My feelings towards CSM itself are less favorable.

      Delete
  4. Are you going with your signature pastel colours on these miniatures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a fondness for desaturated colors, it seems. The dretch should get a splash of more intense color somewhere. Haven't settled on a scheme for the peryton yet but green may play a role.

      Delete