Sunday, October 26, 2014

Zomtober 2014, Week 4


Is it Sunday night already? Drat!

My week four submission (Reaper's Aerakallis, Vampire Mermaid) is progressing nicely but won't be done by midnight I fear. It has reached a good point to share a work-in-progress picture though.

The two minis pictured above use James Wappel's shaded basecoat method. The mermaid has the base colors blocked in and highlighted. What remains to be done is the application of glazes (i.e. carefully targeted washes) to establish the shadows followed by touch-ups and a few details.

The finished zombie on the left shows how glazes really make the highlights pop. Get the shadows sufficiently dark and the highlights look nice and bright by comparison. Painting the negative spaces, as Wappel puts it.

As long as I'm dropping names, the base uses Delaney King's tinted greyscale method as its foundation. For bases, I find it produces great results and, unlike most things involving me and paint, it does so quickly.

I shall endeavor to finish her up, take some pictures of her individually and with the group, and put together a Zomtober wrap-up post by week's end.

20 comments:

  1. Very nicely done dude!
    Speed of painting is not my fortè either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob.

      I've come to terms with my slowness.

      Delete
  2. Another stunning piece and it's not even finished! I often find myself admiring James' work, he really is, as indeed are you, a talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, Michael. Mr. Wappel's a bit of a miniature-painting rock-star in my book.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous WIP and as Michael states, its not even finished yet!! That's a great explanation as to the techniques you've used too. Simply stunning stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blaxkleric. The explanation was a cinch... the other two blogs had great tutorials I could link to.

      Delete
  4. WIP photo's and painting technique info' are always well appreciated, cheers for this.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service, Roy. I also enjoy seeing WIPs of other painters' work.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Well, I have been working out. ;P

      Seriously, it's hard to go wrong with anything sculpted by Julie Guthrie. Thank you, Chris.

      Delete
  6. Those two look really fab, great colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni. Other than the mermaid's fleshtone, all the colors are the same as those used on the female zombie from week two.

      Delete
  7. Your forgot to drop one name ... painted by Finch, the master of pastel. You work gives me hope that good pastel colour combos are possible, I just have to find them or steal from you. ;) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, 4EM. You may steal to your heart's content. Seems fair... I've mined your blog for ideas more than once myself.

      Delete
  8. Nice work! I should really try this method; I like the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. When all works as planed it does produce a great look.

      Delete
  9. Your underwater minis are nice. Well done!

    ReplyDelete